Wednesday 23 May 2012

MAKING -UP: WHY IN THE CAR!!



MAKING -UP: WHY IN THE CAR!!!
I have in recent times developed a new habit. Or rather a new hobby-watching people who drive past me in traffic during rush hour. Apart from admiring plush vehicles (which underscores the fact that some GH folks have money), the appearances (looks, shapes, sizes) of commuters, and the skylines of Accra, there’s this one thing that makes me scream GOD! but smile immediately after.
That hobby is watching women fix their make-ups or ponds in traffic. I love it to bits. It virtually makes my day. I love the way these women rub the pond’s pad across their face, line their eye lashes with mascara and lush their lips with lip glosses or lipstick with extreme expertise and patience whiles their driving mirror or the side mirrors, acting as a referee, gives them a YES or NO signal as to whether the make-up is best to go with.
Interestingly, as soon as I see such an exercise being undertaken, my mind, without any provocation, begins to play the images in slow motion. The make –up application process pIay in my mind in crystal clear HD. That’s how the hand rises to the face and in a nice, well- rehearsed fashion daub it in such elaborate, exquisite and careful manner. And how they part their lips, smear the lipstick/gloss after which they stick their well-nourished lips in and out to get a regular smear is most sexy than attractive. I so much stare that the applicant’s face meets mine and on some occasions we both laugh. Others just stop making-up or give me a “what the fuck you looking at” stare.
Aside the joy I glean from this, I’m often left asking why? Why do women fix make-ups over their God given face? And why do they have to wear it whiles in traffic and not in their homes (assuming all of them are from their own houses)?
In the past, our mothers and grandmothers made-up using just powder. But with advancement in the field of cosmetics and beauty therapy, it became necessary to give the “powder model” an upgrade. The usual name given to make-up in the past was “pancake” and on a couple of occasions I saw my mother apply it on her face before going out to a function. I didn’t question because I got a fix too. The bride of ponds!
Beauty therapists and professionals have often advanced the argument, citing a research conducted in the US, that well groomed women, including those who wear ponds, don’t only earn more but rise on the corporate ladder than their colleagues who don’t. That’s obvious since people are attracted to beautiful things.
Make-ups are meant to enhance the physical beauty of the wearer and not to scare them away. I’ve often wondered whether some ladies really take a look in the mirror to assess their facial grades before they step out of their homes because some of the make-ups look horrible, absolutely scary and crazy. Not every make-up (ponds) fit every skin likewise not every colour fit the skin. Thus, knowing your skin tone is very necessary and important.
However, many fix the make-ups devoid of this basic knowledge. “Once it is in vogue, we can wear some” seems to be their guiding principle. During my time at the university, we (my friends and I) usually gossiped about this pretty looking, dark-skinned lady whose make-up made her look comical. Is either the ponds were heavy or it appeared sticky or was hastily done. We often queried if she indeed looked into the mirror before she stepped out. After arguing and making mockery of her, we end up tagging her roommates ‘callous’ for failing to alert her of the mess she had done to her face. Funny enough none of us had enough ‘balls’ to pitch our observations to her for we couldn’t tell how she may take it. So we continued giggling till we finished our course.  
A make-up, when applied well, is absolutely fantastic to gaze at. It adds value to one’s image, enhance self-confidence and win hearts. Added to this is the fact that many people might consider you intelligent or well- mannered. And that’s the reason why I’ll urge women to at least consult their mirrors or friends after they have applied the ponds. Those with cash should consult professionals for tips on what type fit their skin tone.
But I ask again: Why do women paint their face when God has given them a face?And why do it in the car?! Until I find an answer, I shall continue watching out for the women who take advantage of the rush hour and traffic jams to fix their make-ups. Hope nobody gives me a “fuck you” stare. 

PS: Make-Up here refers to ponds/foundation/ face powder.


No comments:

Post a Comment