Friday 10 January 2014

THE READING CONTINUES


''In the pages of books not only lies wanton knowledge. 
In the pages of books lies abundant joy''- Unknown


The year 2013 was a good one for me as far as consuming literary works was concerned. I managed to read fifteen (15) novels. My interest for reading peeked last year largely due to my joining Writers Project, a book reading club, which holds online book discussions (follow them on twitter @wpghana). Most of the books read are by African Writers.




List of books I read last year include:

Daughters of Swallow by Malaka
Down And Out In Paris and London by George Orwell
Kongi’s Harvest by Wole Soyinka
As The Crow Flies by Veronique Tadjo
A Heart’s Quest by Elikplim Akorli
A Question Of Power by Bessie Head
Matigari by Ngugi wa Thiong’O
A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi wa Thiong’O
Weep Not, Child by Ngugi wa Thiong’O
A Man of The People by Chinua Achebe
The Palm Wine Drinkard by Amos Tutola
A Car Named Desire by Tennesse Williams
The Poor Christ of Bomba by Mongo Beti
Inferno by Dan Brown
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamamda Ngozi Adichie

I have been reading ‘There Was A Country’ by Chinua Achebe, The African Predicament by Kofi Anyidoho, Nelson Mandela’s No Easy Walk To Freedom and The State of Africa by Martin Meredith along those highlighted above.

I have a list of books to read this year and the topmost include: The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. I hope to land Manuscript Found In Accra too, 1984 by George Orwell, Imperialism: The Last Stage Of Neo-Colonialism by Kwame Nkrumah, Chimamanda Adichie’s Half of A Yellow Sun, Beloved by Toni Morrison Autobiography of Alex Ferguson, although I’ve started the year with F.Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby and Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I have over this past two years developed a practice where I read some classical novels. This year, I’ll be reading once again:
Things Fall Apart
Animal Farm
The English Dictionary
Purple Hibiscus (latest addition)

I hope to write a couple of reviews on books I’ll be reading. And I won’t mind exchanging books with other bookworms.

And oh, I wish you all, readers and visitors of this blog A Happy New Year.
 



 

6 comments:

  1. I read the alchemist. It got a bit too preachy at some point, but the storytelling was good, as were the life lessons he weaved into it. Coelho isn't my fav. author though, but I've found new respect for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow am impressed, I must admit I have almost given up on reading but this year would be different. Am happy you added the English dictionary, its a hub of vocabulary. Thumps up my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful list. This has provided me with more motivation for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were one of those who motivated me to read more

      Delete
  4. Good job! I love your reading list. I will love to read some of the books you mentioned. I hope you can lend them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewuenye, i'll gladly lend you some of them

    ReplyDelete