Thursday 7 January 2016

WHAT I READ IN 2015



Each year, since 2013, I have always set a target for myself when it comes to books to read. I resolve, each year to do better than the previous year’s target. Since 2013, I have achieved this feat not with ease judging by the numerous activities one has to juggle along with reading.

I look at 2015 with a sense of disappointment (failure was the word I wanted to use but it’s me being too hard on myself). I say disappointment because I did poorly as far as reading novels was concerned.

I read a total of Eight (8) books in 2015. 8 BOOKS! (I wish you could see the shame on my face).  I however, read in addition few non-fictional work including academic papers and articles shared by friends online.

Here are the books I read:

FICTION

WE NEED NEW NAMES - NOVIOLET BULAWAYO

We Need NEW Names by Zimbabwean author revolves around Darling and her friends living in Paradise and later went to the US where she came of age. The story touched on teen pregnancy, rape, activities of NGOs. W hen Darling finally visited the US, she realized the cultural shock - actions of her cousin and school life.

The novel was a present from my brother, Moshood Hamza on my birthday. A big surprise from him.

THE OLDMAN AND THE SEA – ERNEST HEMINGWAY

I know how much Ernest Hemingway is adored within the literary circles. He’s a cult figure. And the first of his book I have read was The Oldman and the Sea. The inspiration to read this simple, easy to read-the language is ordinary with a poignant message about life- came by after watching the Antoinne Fuqua directed and Denzel Washington starred action thriller The Equalizer. The movie seems to draw inspiration from the novel.

The Oldman and the Sea touches on life and ambition/desire and how we sometimes lose it when we achieve it due to our desperate attempt to protect it. A good book to read.

CHANGES: A Love Story - AMA ATA AIDOO

I bought the book as a present for a friend but I ended up reading it before giving it out to her. I couldn’t help myself since it was one book a friend described as ‘one to read’.  The story is a true reflection of Ama Ata Aidoo’s strong views on feminism, women’s independence vis-à-vis the patriachical Ghanaian society.  

One of the standout quotes in the text is ‘Love is not safe; love is dangerous; the last man any woman should think of marrying is the man she loves…’  A very debatable view point, methink.

THE BEAUTYFUL ONES ARE NOT YET BORN- AYI KWEI ARMAH

Ayi Kwei Armah is a revered figure within the African literature circles and this novel and his other works clearly proves why (I hear Hamza Mooshod scream YES). Deep thoughts, prophetic predictions, grief and pain; these are all found in this well woven story that is The Beatyful Ones Are Not Yet Born.

A good man who became corrupt when he entered politics, ending up a fugitive when his government was overthrown in a coup is the theme of the story. The savior of this politician was his poor in-law who was treated with contempt by his mother-inlaw for his steadfastness- not to be corrupted despite a glaring opportunity to easily become a victim. It is one of the books you must read by all means.

SO LONG A LETTER – MARIAMA BA

A brilliant story told by Mariama Ba through Ramatoulaye’s letter to her friend Aminatou  capturing the position of woman within the African society in broader terms as well as the direction of her (Ramatoulaye) life and how the few who are brave enough to take charge of their life are regarded.

I had to rush read this small book (84 pages) which I borrowed from my good friend Hamza Moshood since he needed to read for a paper. So Long A Letter is a book I would be reading again this year. The issues tackled are still relevant in our society.

MANUSCRIPTS FOUND IN ACCRA-PAULO COELHO

The reason I bought this book, despite recommendation from someone I consider a friend, was because of the title. Unfortunately, this novel wasn’t set in Accra (as in Ghana). This novel by the Brazilian author is a philosophical writing about how one could live a fulfilling life.

A priest who has seen death approaching chose his final days to teach his townfolks especially the youth about how to keep the traditions of their town and the nuggets of life from destruction.

THE GREAT GATSBY – F. SCOTT FITZGERALD 

The Great Gatsby was one book I revisited this year. Considered one of the best among the Scott Fitzgerald collections, The Great Gatsby is set in the jazz era of the American history where debauchery and money met at a crossroad.

J. Gatsby lived for the green light and the day it dimmed, he died; murdered by a man who was made to think he was coveting his wife.  A beautiful story of an untimely and underserved death of a man with a good heart.

NO LONGER AT EASE – CHINUA ACHEBE

No Longer At Ease is the second installment of the ever popular Things Fall Apart.  Obi Okonkwo upon his return to Nigeria with his degree got a good government job and it was not long before his ‘innocence’ was robed.  A sad end of a young returnee determined to cause a change in his homeland soiling his hands with corruption.

NON- FICTION

THERE WAS A COUNTRY –CHINUA ACHEBE
This one by Chinua Achebe has been sitting among my books for two years. Finally, I made time to read about Nigeria, as a society and country; the ethnic tensions, the political system and who it seeks to benefit the most. It is an engrossing read despite the criticism that Achebe painted his Igbo clansmen as the good ones and victims of a Northern progrom to diminish their influence in Nigeria.

ISLAM – KAREN ARMSTRONG

This book was a gift from Amma Konadu (one of the few ferocious readers I know). Karen Armstrong is an authority on Islam and this book explores the history of Islam, the Shia and Shi’te dynamics and well as the Ahmadi subject and more importantly how the Shia and Shi’te nexus has become an acrimonious one in the sphere of global politics (Iran and Saudi Arabia as the primarily players).

FROM COMFLICT TO CONCENSUS? ELITE INTEGRATION AND DEMOCRACY IN GHANA – ANJA OSAE

This was an academic research paper supporting the notion that elite integration is what sustains the growth of democracy. That is how the elites in the various political camps despite their different political ideologies unite with each other when it is most important as well as the relationship they have with the ordinary voters (citizens) to forge a formidable democratic society.

THE SOCIOLINGUISTIC OF AKAN PERSONAL NAMES – KOFI AGYEKUM

Kofi Agyekum (Opanyin Agyekum) is a foremost linguist and in this presentation gives a detail analysis of how the Akans name their children, importance of names, circumstances under which names are given to children and what the effect of these names are on the bearer.

He also makes the case of how the introduction of Christianity and Western education impacted on how parents name their kids and more importantly how the concept of a parent (father) naming a child after himself is a colonial or western concept.

ETHNICITY AND DEMOCRACY – ALEXANDER KAAKYIRE FRIMPONG

This was a research carried out by the author in 2004 after the General Elections exploring the question of advantages of ethnicity and voting trends in determining how a candidate wins an election(s). The research was necessitated by the voting pattern of the people of Central Region who heeded to the ‘Adze Wo Fie Oye’ (I’m a son of your land so vote for me) slogan that the late Prof. Mills used in 2004, helping him clinch the 2004 Presidential Elections. An interesting analysis and conclusions.

As to how many books I would end up reading is one I have not decided on. But, I know I will beat my 2015 efforts. I will definitely make time to read more than I did last year. And the subjects surely would be very diverse-more about politics, religion and some autobiographies. Also, I’d read more female African writers and anything that falls on my path.

And yes, I will be blogging more on this platform than I did last year. My other blog took more of my time which was not very cool. Managing two blogs isn’t easy. Lastly, I’m planning to go back to writing poetry again. My confidence has been given a boost by a friend I met who made me vow to him I would be writing and publishing my poems more this year.

Before I end let me share with you something Matt Haig, a writer said about reading.

‘Read books. Always read books. Everytime you can. It makes the world better. It is how humans merge. Empathy. Reading is love in action’

3 comments:

  1. this is an interesting list. I've read Manuscript Found in Accra and the Great Gatsby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and really awesome blog I've ever found while searching Dissertation Writers on web! and i am very pleased with the overall work. Everything is well researched and maintained, will surely recommend this blog to my friends, also thanks for this awesome post!

    ReplyDelete